Wednesday, October 11, 2006

sleepy town

it's ten thirty and i just got back from the meeting. in truth, i just got back from the dinner at lamonica's that occurred after the meeting. now, i have to figure out what i'm going to wear to the "formal luau"-themed flying squirrel social event tomorrow night, because i don't really have anything formal or luau appropriate.

i am truly exhausted. this morning, i had absolutely no desire to wake up, even though i'd gone to bed way earlier than what is the norm around here. i think i might have even gotten eight hours of sleepy time. still, having eleven-hour on-campus days is a little out of control. plus, on those days, because i've devoted so much of my day to school (or, more specifically, to campus) already, i cannot bring myself to do any work by the time i get home. it's a vicious cycle that must be broken very soon, when my assignments and readings actually start meaning something.

today, right after work, lina called me and i ended up going back to her apartment in the downtime i had between work and the flying squirrel. it's really nice - i especially like seeing where all my friends are living because apartments are so much more like homes than the dorms were.

udeitha and i talked about judaism for a little while at kerckhoff this afternoon. i like to say that i'm jewish (culturally), but sometimes that gets me into trouble because people who are geniunely curious about the religion come to me and ask me thoughtful questions that i really can't fully answer. i tried as best as i could to tell her what i know about the true meaning of passover and yom kippur and hanukah, but i don't think i did such a fab job. basically, i told her if she wanted to come to my family's passover "seder", she was more than welcome to, but that she shouldn't expect very much more than my grandpa trying desperately to hold a nice seder while the rest of my extended family yells over each other. i think it would be really interesting if she came, and i kinda hope she does. maybe, for once, my family would be motivated to have a real, traditional seder, even if it's just to impress a non-relative.

No comments: