Friday, October 06, 2006

costco boots = way warm

i think it's a little hilarious that two seconds after i lamented the fact that i wasn't able to talk to my cousins, my mom burst into my room and told me that we going over to my grandparents' house immediately to see them before they drove back into the valley. because she forced me to leave asap, i went over there wearing what i'd changed into after the play: a peach zip-up sweatshirt, the blue mesh p.e. shorts i've had since seventh grade, and calf-high faux ugg boots that my grandpa bought me three years ago at costco. i was cold. that's my lame excuse for why i was daring to wear the boots. plus, they added just the right amount of ridiculousness, which, of course, is always my goal.

alanna is so adorable. she absolutely loves me, and jumped up from the couch the second i walked in, and refused to sit anywhere but on my lap. she ended up falling asleep on me before they left. she's got all this dental stuff going on right now (expander, braces, retainer, etc.) so she talks with a new lisp and her face is starting to look totally different (because, i guess, the expander is doing its job and widening her face). i have this weird motherly feeling towards my little brother and alanna and her brother because i'm so much older than them - now that i can tell that they are growing up, it makes me happy and sad at the same time. so i suppose i like it when she's cute to me because it means that she's not completely grown up yet. (how stup does that sound?).

tonight, at the play, the cowboy poet told me that he wants me to send him some more of my poetry. i've sent him some in the past, and he told me i was awesome, and it was flattering for about a minute, before i realized that i was basically baring my soul to a middle aged cowboy poet whom i just met, and that that was a little bizarre, even by my standards. i told him i'd look for new stuff to send him, but truthfully, i haven't really been writing at all lately (this blog has been the full extent of it), so i don't even think i have anything to lie about sending.

there was a "ghost" sighting at the museum tonight. some crazies in the park next to the museum ran down the hill and told a docent who was guiding tours through the play that they had just seen a man walk down the hill, through the iron gate and into the museum. my mom just told my aunt that story and she was incredulous. i couldn't believe that she wasn't all over the idea of a ghost walking around, because this is a woman who taught me, when i was nine years old, that: ouiji boards are most effective when they are handmade, shot glasses are the best conductors of messages from other worlds, and my blue teddy bears could, in fact, teleport to my house from hers (i later learned that there were two sets of "blue bears" and that my parents had been cooperating with the terrible trickery that got sam and me to believe her).

i still don't have a bed at home, so i have to sleep on the couches in the front room again, which means that inevitably, a member of my family will wake me up at 7 am tomorrow morning because they are inconsiderate early risers.

No comments: