Thursday, October 12, 2006

debbie does bonobos

usually, i'd consider myself a fairly nice person. this niceness is destroyed only by those few things that drive me totally insane. one of those things is when other people make me a party to their hygiene issues. i realize this a broad topic, so i shall expound: i don't want to hear foul loud people eating/crunching/smacking gum (i eat and chew gum all the time and i think i'm pretty quiet-mouse about it); i don't like it when people spit in public because i don't like having to tiptoe around mucus; and i really don't like it when girls are so into their shining, lustrious hair that they must swing it around and touch me with it. that happened today in my human sexuality lecture, while we all sat uncomfortably through a movie about bonobo sexual activity. the girl in front of me full-on sprayed me with her hair when she flung it behind her. that's so gross. i can't handle that. don't throw your hair at me, please. i'm trying to watch the bonobos make out.

i've lived in westwood for (almost) three years, and i have never set foot inside the local "aahhhs" costume shop/doodad parade/crap factory. i think maybe that's because i know i love kitchy shit and if i were to ever go inside that place, i would come out with lots of magnets and buttons and t-shirts emblazoned with stupid quotes or sayings that i thought were funny or special when i bought them. then, i'd have all that crap in my room and that would be detrimental to my "get-rid-of-all-unnecessary-kitch" plan. so, imagine my surprise now that i find myself planning a post-work trip to "aahhhs" to buy some luau stuff and melissa's birthday present. it's kinda funny to me that when i was twelve and i had no idea what to get people for their birthdays, i would get them lotions or soaps or some other really noxious smelling potion from bath and body works. now, it's almost the same concept, except melissa's turning 21, so i can get her booze accoutrements.

i cannot believe that melissa is 21, by the way. i still remember being five years old and showing up at her house down the street the day we were both inexplicably wearing the exact same crazy early-90s kids' outfit. plus, it's weird to think that i've known someone for eighteen years. that's such a long time, and i still feel like such a huge baby.

No comments: