Friday, December 08, 2006

statistically insignificant

i'm starting to feel ok about my life. this is how midterms and finals are for me: i get really worked up and nervous about them, and then i get something done and i relax, and then something else comes to mind and i freak out again. last night, i was on the freak-out stage of the roller coaster of emotion (and, leah, i think i stole that from your blog, so feel free to slap me when we hang out, ok?). last night was also hard emotionally because i'm having a really hard time figuring out what i should do about a particular situation. that is my way of saying that i have no idea how to "go with the flow."

i didn't go to my last anthro lecture this morning. i slept instead, and had a lot of crazy, really realistic, symbolic dreams that i can't remember anymore, of course.

i've also been drinking hot water all day because i have a sore throat (and i don't dare drink tea, lest it completely undo all that i struggled to accomplish when i used those hideous white strips last month). i ran out of airborne last night, and literally did a dance this morning when mad told me i could have some of hers.

this not having a debit card thing is really, really difficult. joel called me and wanted to hang out tonight, and i wanted to and want to and totally would have had that not meant that i would have had to walk to the bank and actually withdraw money. i was also working on the research methods paper i have due on monday, though, so i'm going to blame the no hang out on productivity rather than my extreme laziness and inability to lift myself off of the couch and over to the bank.

i don't know what happened to my parents, but in the entirety of my life they've gone to about two social parties with real adult friends. friends who are not the parents of my or my brother's friends. and now, all of a sudden, they are little party animals. i called my mom last friday night to ask her to do something for me (probably to bring my accutane to me), and she said, "oh, i am soooo drunk right now," which is my line, and i don't appreciate her stealing it from me. (no, i don't call my mother when i'm drunk - i just really like to announce it to people around me). my mom works at my old high school (which is hers too, incidentally), and she'd gone to a local restaurant with all my former teachers and had margaritas with them. awesome. tonight, my parents are going to a holiday party that one of my dad's new lawyer buddies is throwing. i had to help my mom, over the phone, pick out an outfit to wear that, per my rules: did not have christmas appliques (snowmen, lights, santas, etc.), was not an elastic-waisted shapeless skirt, and was not something that immediately screams "grandmother." my mom is a beautiful person, but tends to want to hide that in way bizarre clothing that isn't flattering or understandable. so, because she came to me, the sultana of all things fashionable, so that i would save her from wearing something crazy to this "real people" party, i felt it was my place to be harsh. i was, but she's really happy with what she's wearing.

as if anyone cares.

basically, my parents are out on the town, clay is at alanna's birthday party with the rest of my wonderous family, and i'm sitting in the apartment alone, wondering how i'm going to stretch "neither our main effects nor our interaction were statistically significant" into four pages of a research paper discussion.

No comments: