Sunday, December 24, 2006

knotts and the andes

i am freezing cold right now. i'm up and ready to go to knotts for christmas eve, as tradition dictates. i haven't been up this early in forever, and am now realizing why. it's so cold. i actually resorted to putting my clothes in the dryer so they'd be warm when i had to do a split-second costume change from pajamas (the sweater i wore yesterday) to the clothes i'm wearing right now.

i'm listening to george harrison's "brainwashed" album, which i love and hate at the same time. he wrote it right before he died of brain cancer, and you can hear how sick he is in his voice. every song on the album is incredibly sad, but it's beautiful, and i love harrison, so it's playing almost all the time.

the past day and a half has been pretty eventful. i met steve, and that couldn't have gone better. i'm going to leave it at that for now (i'm sorry to the insanely curious). i had lunch with leah yesterday, and want to do it again immediately. i adore her. we sat at baja for a way long time just cracking up. i can't believe i lost people i really liked after high school. i should have keep in touch with leah so much better than i did.

last night was the family hanukkah party, and it was totally insane, which is as much of a tradition for my mom's side as knotts is for my dad's. my cousins michael and sara were there - i miss them. i decided i'm going to go see them in oregon over spring break. i hate that their kids have no idea who i am because i never see them. alanna fell asleep on me, which is the cutest thing ever. and, possibly the best part of the night, i learned that 85% of my adult family members go to see the same doctor in the valley. actually, the best part of that conversation was that my cousin jonathan came into the room, and after i told him how ridiculous it is that everyone goes to the same guy, he asked, "oh, you mean dr. ______?"

and then, last night, shiza and zoe came over for a few hours. zo is leaving in january for ecuador until july, and she planted a terrible, terrible seed in my head. she told me i should go down to south america after school ends to see manchu picchu and various other andean ruins with her and her brother. of all the things i've ever wanted to do, going to manchu picchu definitely tops the list. i'll have to think about that, and battle my parents, i'm sure, because even though i'm an adult and working and would be paying for it myself, i will still get a ton of shit for it, and that will be super awesome. this is going to sound really stupid, and i know that, but once i finish accutane and some of the scarring fades and i can start feeling comfortable in my own skin again (literally), i want to take advantage of a lot of traveling and experience that this crap has stopped me from doing/experiencing in the past. that sounds like a lame excuse, but when you only feel comfortable wearing layers of makeup and wearing parkas, traveling around staying in hostels and hiking the andes becomes much less alluring.


(this is why i want to go. because it's amazing.)

ok, i think it's time to head off for a day of being ignored by sam, and in turn, the rest of my likeminded male cousins. no one in my dad's family loves me enough to hang onto me until they fall asleep, that's for sure.

weep for me, yeah?

1 comment:

happiness is Leah-shaped said...

You should. STICK IT TO THE MAN! I'm going to rebel at some point and backpack with people, even if it does mean that I have to forego being the "good child"