Sunday, December 10, 2006

"peggy lee"

i was so sick last night. i don't think i've felt so shitty since i was eight years old, and able to stay home from school and lay in my parents' bed and watch crappy talk shows all day long. i've had a sore throat since friday, and was anticipating getting a cold, but last night, the world rained chaos down upon me and i had the worst fever i've had in a long time. it felt like my just being alive was taking a huge toll on my body. i ended up deciding to go to bed at 8:30 pm, because i'd had the foresight to finish my psych research methods paper early (when i'd first developed the sore throat and figured i'd be getting sick - this entire apartment has been diseased for about three weeks). andy wouldn't let me sleep until i'd taken some sort of medication, and even though we battled over my refusal to take dayquil at night (who does that?), i thought it was cute that he was taking care of me, even though i looked like a crazy person and was pretty frightening to be around. he eventually forced me to sit with him and drink theraflu, because he didn't trust me to take it on my own. i went to bed at 9:15, and fell into a fitful quasi-sleep until around 10:45, when mad came home, and then i called my mom in the dark in my room and cried to her for ten minutes about how miserable i was. i really just wanted to sleep, and absolutely couldn't because i felt like my skin was on fire. after the phone call, during which my mom told me to wrap myself in bags of ice and drink lots of cold water (i love mommies), i left my bed and went to follow her command that i keep drinking fluids. then, andy fed me some ibuprofen, mad took some super flattering pictures of me as i tried using her thermometer to see how high my temperature was (96.6* was the highest reading, and that, my dears, was bullshit) and i was finally able to sleep.

i woke up this morning fever-free, and am hoping to stay that way.

p.s. andy refers to fevers as "peggy lees." it must be a minnesota thing.

No comments: