Sunday, September 03, 2006

emote

my grandma totally surprised me tonight. we went over to my grandparents' house this afternoon to hang out and have a pre-labor day barbeque, because my parents have been invited to their *first ever* summer party thrown by people they actually like. as my mom says, they have friends now. more specifically, they have "friends who share their democratic ideals" and my mother loves this. i do too, actually, because maybe now we won't be the only people we know who plaster peace signs everywhere and consider being called a "bleeding heart" a compliment.

ok, so back to the grandmother. we celebrated my birthday tonight, even though it's really next week, because i'll be in new york on the actual day. my grandma bought a huge chocolate cake, but gave me a sugar-free pudding cup with a candle in it because she remembered that i'm off sugar. (and that's actually a lie, because i've been eating lots of sugary goodies lately, but i don't have the heart to tell her that i've broken my no-sugar rule). then, she brought out my gift, which was sarah jessica parker's perfume "lovely" - i've not so secretly wanted that since last summer. it was really thoughtful and i cannot believe she remembered. very nice.

i'm starting to get nervous for the new york extravaganza. my dad told me tonight, after i'd told him that i haven't packed my bag yet, that i should "think about doing that." thanks. it will be amazing to go and see it all, but i'm worried. that is, after all, my shtick.

andy is officially going to hate me, because i'm not going to be able to take the tvs down to the apartment before i leave for a week. and he will not have a tv for all that time, and he will miss the season premiere of "house" and will hate me forever. so, andrew, i'm very sorry about my inability to deliver the televisions as promised. i'm a terrible friend, roommate, and person in general.

OH, i almost forgot: my rehearsal yesterday was an absolute joke. the director kept telling us to, and i quote, "emote." i felt like she should have been wearing a beret and thick-framed glasses and waving around a long cigarette and beating a drum with one hand, all while saying, "emote, emote, emote." someone definitely takes her title as director of a museum play a little too seriously

No comments: