Thursday, March 29, 2007

art shows, movies, and IB

last night, i went with sam to check out his art show at the high school, which reminded me of when i did my own IB* art show as a senior. however, mine was a fat joke, and should not be confused with the quality of the stuff i saw last night. my brother is an actual artist with actual talent, so seeing his work on display was really exciting.

my fever wasn't as fleeting as i thought it'd be on monday. i have a cold, and although i feel much better than i did, say, yesterday, i'm still stuffy and gross. it hasn't stopped me from seeing people, which is nice, because i'm usually the first person to outlaw hanging out with sick people, for fear i'll catch their disease. both melissa and shiza weren't afraid of my infectiousness, so at least i got out of my house and saw my friends.

i've also watched a few movies i've wanted to see for a long time ("babel" and "children of men") and a few i've always secretly adored ("two weeks notice" and "deeply"). josh once asked me, during a long work shift, which five movies i would want with me if i were stranded on a desert island. my answers were, in no particular order:

1) "when harry met sally"
2) "zoolander"
3) "ghost"
4) "now and then"
5) "stand by me"

josh was really upset by the above list because it didn't include any cinematic genius, according to him. that's ok, though, because if i were isolated by myself indefinitely, those are the five films that could keep me endlessly entertained. in fact, even now, i think i watch "when harry met sally" at least once a month. at least.

so, spring break hasn't been amazing or intense or full of booze (except for saturday, when steve and i shared a bottle of pomegranate schnapps, and i carried it around by the neck like an idiot pirate), but i'm going to be positive and say that it's what i needed. no, i didn't need to get a cold and feel groggy and sad and get sassed by my father for being lazy. i did, however, need to have some time to hang out and be by myself and take naps with my dog and then, sometimes, leave the house to spend hours huffing scented candles at furniture stores with shiza.

i bought a new digital camera, and so i've mandated that i have an adventure at some point. that means, i need to stop feeling shitty very soon, and start taking pictures of awesomeness.


*IB is the acronym for "international baccalaureate," still a word i have to google in order to spell. IB is akin to the AP program in high schools, except that it's billed as way better and far more prestigious than those silly advanced placement tests. the reason for this hype is that IB tests a) are more expensive than AP tests, and b) require much more out of class work. also, the IB program itself is super labor intensive, requiring an extra morning class and several thousand hours of community service, which must all be properly documented and fit into three categories (if i remember correctly: "community," "action," and "service"). IB ate my senior year of high school. IB convinced me not to take any AP tests my senior year because i was already taking five for baccalaureate. IB promised me lots of college credits. i entered college with eight non-transferrable units. eight. it was marvelous.

No comments: