Thursday, January 25, 2007

backpacking

right now, i'm sitting in one of the psych computer labs, hoping to waste away the remaining forty minutes until my next lecture. i've already studied outside in the sunshine, run into mad, and finished my reading while drinking a chai latte. so, here i am, blogging, surrounded by people who are actually getting things accomplished.

yesterday, i had to break down and buy a real backpack, because the single strap on my giant blue pleather bag ripped off the instant i stepped off the shuttle and onto campus at 9 am, right as the longest day in recorded history began. as much as i really loved having to keep a deathly vicelike grip on the top of the bag for most of the day, i figured it was time to do my back a favor and start putting my books in something that would not cripple me at the age of twenty-five. and, because i'm secretly still in kindergarten, i bought a way crazy patterned backpack that only serves to make me feel more like i'm back in high school than a simple black one would have. when i get home, i'm going to post a picture of it, because it's that amazing.

i talked to my dad just now, because i got voicemails from both my parents last night, and i know that anytime my dad places a phone call, they're bringing out the big guns. in all seriousness, i do feel bad that i almost never call him, because i talk to my mom all the damn time. i told him that some of my classes are super ambigious and weird about information presentation, and he told me i should send him some of the material so that he could help me out with my studying, which is the equivalent of me telling clay that i would love to play that computer game with him after i'm done reorganizing my shoe collection and planning my quail hunt. basically, it'll never happen.

mina, a fellow psych major (who is technically psychbio and who is heading to med school, thereby making him far cooler than i am), just told me that he thinks that 70% of the people he knows are crazy. that's probably really true, and i think he should revel in it, because surrounding yourself with interesting people is what makes life exciting. and, if all else fails, you can always start a blog.

No comments: