Thursday, June 28, 2007

sloppy

yesterday, i talked to gilmore for a little while, and he said, "you're not like a girl in all the bad ways," which could be taken two very distinctly different ways. apparently, after i grilled him for clarification, he meant that i'm female in all the good ways, which is the only acceptable answer. he said he meant that i don't care about giggling and shoes, and that almost makes me sound like i'm really sloppy all the time, and i tell you that if that's true, it's unintentional. yes, sadly, this is what i look like when i'm actually trying. my conversation with gilmore reminded me of an exchange i had with my grandma's close friend at jonathan's bar mitzvah. it went something like this:

joanie: oh, your hair's so short! i love it! who cut it?
me: my boyfriend did, actually. he's available for appointments if you're interested.
joanie: you and your mom are just the same. you don't really care about all that, do you?
me: you are a master at the backhanded compliment, joanie. please go sit far away.*

now, joanie loved my hair. she had no problem with the actual product, but, being the kind of woman is very concerned with appearances, she couldn't understand how i could have allowed a non-professional to cut my hair, or how my mom hasn't had botox (not that she needs it - she's going to look much younger than she is for her entire life, because she kept all her skin pigmentation to herself and didn't give me any). i guess i don't really care. i can't bring myself to spend so much time on myself. that's probably because it would take a long, long time to make me glamorous.



*i didn't say that.

No comments: